How many of you knew that February 11th was World Happiness Day? On this day, Happy: The Movie was shown in countries all over the world. My husband and I watched a presentation of the movie by the psychology club at SUNY Oneonta. The movie combines cutting-edge science from the new field of “positive psychology” with real-life stories of people from around the world whose lives illustrate what constitutes a happy, fulfilling life.
The film's researchers discovered (surprise, surprise!) that wealth is not one of the factors that make people happy. Five of the factors that contribute most to happiness are:
- A sense of friendship and community
- Caring for and helping others
- A personal involvement with nature
- A balanced life, with plenty of leisure time
- Engaging in enjoyable activities
- Spiritual (not necessarily religious) faith