Translate

Thursday, March 16, 2023

Experiencing Disability

    

    I have not written anything for this blog since before February 13th when I had surgery for a hip replacement that didn't go well. In the process of inserting a prosthesis into my right femur, the femur was cracked, resulting in my inability to put weight on my right leg for six to eight weeks. If you want more details, you can read about them if you click here: The Unwanted Elephant and Let Justice Roll Down Like Water.

    I have just passed the four week mark, counting down the days (twelve) when I will get x-rays and find out whether I can begin the physical therapy that should have started a month ago. Meanwhile, I am spending most of my time on the first floor of our two-story house, using a walker to get from bed, to half bath, to table and recliner. Two weeks ago I started to go upstairs twice a week, sliding on my bottom, using a shower chair with Mark's help, to get from the top step to the landing and then into the bathroom for a sit-down shower. 

    I am learning what it is like to live with a disability. I am grateful that my disability is temporary, but still, this experience gives me a little glimpse into the life of someone who cannot walk or take care of themselves. Because I am dependent on a walker for mobility, I can't fetch things for myself. I am dependent on Mark to get me a glass of water, to prepare my meals, to put on my compression socks, and bring me the things I need with which to occupy myself. It is a humbling experience.

    Since my surgery Mark and I have enjoyed a lot of support from our family, friends, and church community. Many have brought us meals and homemade cookies, sent cards and flowers, and come to visit. It feels wonderful to be showered with so much love, care, and prayers. When this is over I hope I will remember what it's like to be helpless and remember that there are many who never recover from a disability and may be forgotten with the passage of time. I hope this experience will serve as a bridge of oneness between me and those who spend their lives in a wheelchair. 

    Yesterday Mark took me downtown for my first stroll in the wheelchair we borrowed from a friend. I hadn't expected such a bumpy ride which made me realize what it's like, not only for those in wheelchairs, but for toddlers in strollers! When we saw a woman coming toward us with her dog I held my breath until she pulled the leash closer to her body. I did not want it jumping up on my lap. She asked if I like dogs and I said, "He does," pointing back to Mark. Coming face-to-face with a dog is another thing people in wheelchairs have to beware of. I am grateful that this dog owner was courteous!

    Mark took the above photograph as he was helping me back up the stairs after our stroll. If I was permanently disabled I guess we would have a ramp and not have to use the shower chair method to get in and out of the house. For now, I am grateful to the physical therapist who taught us how to use the adjustable chair to go up and down the stairs. Yesterday was my first outing other than to a doctor's office in more than a month. People with disabilities need to get out of the house, even if it's a big ordeal to get them out. I am very grateful to my husband who also took me out for breakfast this morning and then helped me upstairs so I could take a shower and write this blog on my computer.






No comments:

Post a Comment