Translate

Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Why Am I Here? by guest writer, Mark VanLaeys


    I've been blessed with a number of days where the answer was not only suggested, 

but placed right in my hands.  One of the more  dramatic experiences happened 

when I was working as a relatively new ER physician assistant in Upstate NY.  

As I was charting on one patient, I heard over the hospital speakers: "CODE BLUE - 

Radiology."  As I stood up, I saw an X-Ray tech running down the hall toward us.  

Drooped over his arm was a completely lifeless two-week-old baby boy! 

I tipped his head back, but still no breath, no pulse, no heart sounds. I started 

thumb compressions as the ER doctor located a newborn-sized face mask.  With  

my hands squeezing his tiny chest, that little guy not only came back to life, but 

let out a glorious wail!  And that day I knew why I was here. 

      Some special days we're just blessed with an opportunity to make a 

tangible difference in someone's life.   First responders, teachers, scientists, 

plumbers, and even politicians* may benefit others all day long, but the best of

 them just do their fine work noiselessly, making the world a better place, and 

that's  A GREAT REASON TO BE HERE!


*Counselors, electricians, parents, laborers, waitresses, CPR instructors, etc.  - 

you get the idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment